Too Bad None Of It Shows
What We Did To Otto
Al and I did a lot of work to this truck. Here's a list:
- Replaced brake cylinders, shoes, rubber hoses, master cylinder.
- Replaced swing lever pivot shaft and bushings.
- Rewired mass quanties of wiring harness.
- New front turnsignal lenses and rear tailight lenses.
- New wheels and hubcaps (from the junkyard of course).
- New tires (Pirelli P3's, 165-15)
- Replaced home-made 40 gallon gas tank with the proper stock model.
- Replaced Rabbit shift knob with a more appropriate model
- New engine rubber (twice now. Don't buy the cheap stuff)
- New battery
- New accelerator and clutch cables
- New (from the junk yard) right rear brake drum. The old one wouldn't come
off and we had to take the whole reduction box apart, and take the assembly to
a machinist to drill it off.
- New (from the junk yard) rear bumper and apron.
- Fabricated bike mounting hardware to mount to the bed.
- Replaced beetle speedo with a 1967 bus speedo.
- Replaced windshield and rear window rubber.
- Lots and Lots of new light bulbs.
- New rubber pedal covers and knee knocker.
- Engine: New oil pressure sender, spark plugs, wires, condenser, rotor,
cap, fuel pump, air cleaner, fuel hoses, fuel filter, thermostat. Removed and
- Fixed heater duct tubes, replaced heater cables.
- Found and installed one of those front belly pans that protects the pedal
- Greased front wheel bearings.
- Cleaned and lubed front axle.
- New front tie rods from the junk yard.
This took us about a year to do, working weekends and long summer nights.
But it was worth it!